Search

   

Shop By:

Variety

Country

Region

Subregion

Wine Type

Beltramo's Wines & Spirits
1540 El Camino Real
Menlo Park, CA 94025

Monday-Friday: 10:00am-7:30pm
Saturday: 9:30am-7:30pm
Sunday: 10:00am-6:30pm

(650) 325-2806
(888) 710-WINE(9463)
Fax (650) 323-8450

1982 Château Cos-d'Estournel - St.-Estèphe (750ml)

In the old Gascon language, the word 'Cos' means 'The Hill of Pebbles'. And as a matter of fact, the hill of Cos, which is situated on the banks of the Gironde, is an impressive accumulation of Quaternary gravel wrested from the distant mountains of the Massif Central and the Pyrenees and laid on Saint-Estephe's limestone bed when the primeval river receded.

Shaped into well drained slopes by the erosion, these exceptionally deep layers of gravel are a true geological curiosity and also one of the world's most precious Terroir, for it forces the old vines planted on its heights to thrust their roots into the arid soil.

These are these extended roots that slow down the flow of sap, concentrating then the juice and giving the wine of Cos such an individual taste.

The property is located between Pauillac and Saint-Estephe, separated from Chateau Lafite by the stream known as La Jalle du Breuil (The Breuil Brook), the hill of Cos dominates the Gironde from the height of almost 65 feet.

Bordered westward by the Atlantic ocean and eastward by the Gironde, the vineyard of Cos d'Estournel benefits from a micro-climate. The micro-climate acts like a temperature regulator, thus avoiding extreme temperatures.

The Cabernet Sauvignon vines (60% of the vineyard) find the soil of their choice in the thin layers of gravely soil situated on the top and on the southern slopes of the hill. On the other hand, the Merlot vines (40% of the vineyard) excel on the eastern slopes and on the slopes where the Saint-Estephe limestone bed shows on the surface.

Only the wines coming from over 20 years old vines will have the name of Chateau Cos d'Estournel. Chateau Cos d'Estournel


92 points Wine Spectator:

95 points Wine Advocate:

:This 1982 is still displaying a beautiful deep ruby/purple hue as well as a stunning set of aromatics consisting of blue and black fruits, loamy earth, flowers, licorice, and spice box. The wine is medium to full-bodied with sweet tannins, a medium to full-bodied mouthfeel, and a silky finish. It appears to have hit full maturity, but it can easily be held in a cold cellar for another 10+ years. Robert Parker #183Jun 2009



SKU:
Your Price: $399.99
Currently sold out